Electric Multiple-Unit Cars


The Metroliner was a modern, high-speed electric train designed by the PRR and Penn Central. These cars are no longer in use today, but Amtrak has converted some of them into cab cars for push-pull trains.

thumbnail Metroliner 801 puts its best face forward at Elizabeth, New Jersey in 1975. Photo by Harv Kahn. (128 K)


thumbnail PC 607 was one of the fleet of MP54 electric MU cars operated in commuter and intercity service by the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Penn Central. While the car looks worse for the wear, it is now in safe hands, as it is part of the collection of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, PA. Photo by Harriet Beckman, November 1999. (74 K)

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

These three photos are of an MP54 just outside the Conrail/Chessie Bayview yard in Baltimore, MD, in the spring of 1986. The next day it was gone. The car is believed to be number 679, which was sent to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum around that same time. According to the Museum, they did not money to restore the car, which was in pretty bad shape when it arrived. It was scrapped in 1994. All three photos are by Ray Molesworth; background information by Jim Reaves.

thumbnail MP54 450, still wearing PRR colors, is seen between runs at Trenton, New Jersey, on January 8, 1977. Photo by Gary Stuebben. (86 K)

thumbnail Also in Trenton, and on the same day as the previous picture, we also find MP54 662, painted for Penn Central. It appears that this MP54's days of revenue service are behind it. Photo by Gary Stuebben. (68 K)

thumbnail Washington Terminal, partially owned by the Penn Central and the operator of Washington Union Station and the surrounding terminal trackage, owned this MP54, which was numbered 300 and painted dark blue with white striping. Reportedly, it was used to shuttle crew members between the Ivy City engine terminal and the Washington Union Station passenger terminal. They must have purchased this car from the PC, but it is unknown if it was during the PC era or afterwards. Either way, here is the car, seen at the Ivy City engine terminal, Washington, D.C., in March of 1977. Photo by Gary Stuebben. (118 K)

Ex-New Haven MUs

thumbnail The oldest ex-New Haven MU cars operated by Penn Central were 1920's built heavyheight cars, a set of which is seen in October 1972, probably at New Haven. From the Stephen Foster collection. (84 K)

thumbnail New Haven's newer MU cars were these Pullman-Standard cars, nicknamed "Washboards" for their fluted sides. Seen on the ex-New Haven electrified main line in October 1972. From the Stephen Foster collection. (96 K)

thumbnail A set of "Washboards" run at track speed along the Connecticut Turnpike. The Turnpike contributed greatly to the financial woes of the New Haven. Photo by Bengt Muten. (51 K)

thumbnail A "Washboard" combine and coach pose in front of the shop, probably at New Haven, in October 1974. Photo by Willie Rosenburg, from the collection of Joseph Testagrose. (148 K)


thumbnail A 1000-series MU car and an 1100-series car (right) await their fate at the Croton-North scrap line in 1977. Photo by Rob Carlo. (71 K)

thumbnailMetro-North later converted PC car 1077 into a work car with a side door. Here is the car after its conversion on a siding just north of Croton-on-Hudson, NY in October of 1997. Photo by John W. (22 K)

Jersey Arrow

thumbnail PC Jersey Arrow car 129, inside the confines of Penn Station in Newark, NJ, on June 3, 1975. Photo copyright 1997 Harv Kahn. (69 K)