EMD Locomotive Photos (page 1)
For ease of loading, the EMD photos have been broken up into three pages.
At Rockport Yard in Cleveland, Ohio, PC F7 1672 is in the company of a former Rio Grande F7B and other PC power. The 1672 was originally a New York Central unit of the same number. Its NYC heritage can be determined by the lack of lifting rings on the front of locomotive. Penn Central's former PRR E and F units had the lift rings, while the NYC units did not. Photo by Dick Ross. (86 K)
A group of four PRR F7s were equipped 1966 with PRR cab signals and NYC Automatic Train Stop equipment, so they could lead trains in PRR or NYC territory. They were renumbered into the 1903-1906 series. One of these "merger" F7s, the 1905, is seen at Cambridge, MA, in January 1969. The 1905 was one of only five ex-PRR F-units to wear full PC paint. Photograph by David Nyce, from the collection of Gary Stuebben. (70 K)
In February 1970, Penn Central purchased ten F7s from the Denver & Rio Grande Western as trade-in material on an order of EMD GP38s. Upon receiving the locomotives, PC found four of them were in good mechanical condition (and probably in better condition than some of their F units). They had the leading "5" removed from their former D&RGW numbers and PC emblems applied, and were turned loose in freight service for a while before being repainted in PC black. Here, we find PC 721, the former D&RGW 5721, with a work train at an uncertain location in Cleveland (possibly Rockside Yard). Photograph by Dick Ross. (144 K)
Two more of the ex-Rio Grande F7s, F7A 754 and F7B 712, are seen working at an unknown location around Cleveland. The other Rio Grande F7 that saw service for PC was F7B 733. Photograph by Dick Ross. (144 K)
The distinctively-styled GP30 was owned by the PRR and NYC. They were numbered 2188-2249. Former PRR units had dynamic brakes, while the ex-NYC units did not.
The PRR and NYC both owned GP35s, and PC had 150 of 2500 horsepower locomotives. They were numbered in the 2250-2399 series. With the exception of 2399, former NYC units did not have dynamic brakes, while all the PRR units came so equipped.
In the 1950's, PRR bought forty cabless GP9 locomotives, called GP9B's. Like the F-units that preceeded the Geeps, when several units ran on the front of a train, it was more cost-effective to eliminate cabs from the middle units of the lashup, hence the GP9B's. Like their "B" F-unit cousins, however, when GP9s were demoted to secondary and local assignments after the second-generation power arrived on the property, the lack of a cab usually kept the GP9B's captive in yard and local service.
In September 1972, GP9B 3812 is seen parked all alone in Detroit, Michigan. The units did have hostler controls inside the porthole, so this engine could be moved by itself if necessary. Photo by Roger Tesky, Stephen Foster collection. (74 K)
The GP40 is a 3000 horsepower, 4-axle road switcher that was first purchased by the New York Central and later by the Penn Central.
A group of new Penn Central GP40s, 3170-3186, were delivered with an "orange C" emblem and wore the paint scheme for a number of years. One of these units, PC 3172, is waiting for its next run at the enginehouse at Enola, PA, on October 11, 1969. Notice the "red P" emblem on the sign on the enginehouse, above the nose of the locomotive. Photograph by David Nyce, from the colletion of Gary Stuebben.
PC E7A 4201 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, looking like it has seen better days. Fortunately, this locomotive was restored to its original appearance as PRR 5901, and is on display at the Museum today as the only known preserved E7. Photo by Edward Gibbs.
PRR and NYC contributed E8s to Penn Central's roster. NYC units kept their original numbers in the 4036-4095 series, while Pennsy's units traded their 5700- and 5800-series numbers for PC numbers in the high 4200- and low 4300-series. About half of PC's E8 fleet was sold to Amtrak in 1972.
PC E8 4325 sits at the CNJ Elizabethport shops on June 23, 1977. The locomotive was assigned to commuter service on the New York & Long Branch. Note the remains of a previous PC worm emblem showing through below the word "PENN". Photo by Arnold Morscher.
Penn Central E8 4316 was selected to wear a one of a kind paint scheme for Amtrak's first day of operations, May 1, 1971. Here is that locomotive, seen at Harrisburg, Pa., on January 8, 1972, still owned by Penn Central even though it is wearing Amtrak colors. Not long after this locomotive and 69 others were sold to Amtrak--the 4316 became Amtrak 322. Photo by Martin Zak, from the collection of Gary Stuebben.
PC E8A 4321, Logansport, Indiana
These are two pictures of Penn Central E8A 4321 that was rusting away in Logansport, Indiana, at what used to be the location of the Pennsy/PC yards next to US 35 south of town near the Wabash River. The locomotive was still wearing PC lettering almost 20 years after the end of the Penn Central. These pictures were taken by Michael Kasrich on January 20, 1996. The locomotive started life as NYC 4070, and became PC 4070 after the merger. In October, 1973, it was fitted with cab signals, renumbered to PC 4321, and sent to work on the New York & Long Branch (commuter lines in New Jersey). The cab was pretty well stripped, except for the chairs. The prime movers were also still inside. Sadly, the shot of PC 4321 at Logansport can no longer be taken. The unit was moved a few months later eastward on the NS to an unknown destination. It was on the tail end of NS #110 as seen across a field at Old Fort, Ohio on June 8, 1996. Eventually, the engine ended up in Bellevue, Ohio, awaiting restoration at the railroad museum there. (Photos by Michael Kasrich.)
The FL9 locomotives were unique because they could operate off both their diesel prime mover and third-rail electric power. They also had an unusual B-A1A wheel arrangement. New Haven owned 60 of these locomotives, which were wore PC numbers 5000-5059. Many of these locomotives still operate today for Metro-North and Connecticut DOT.
Brewster, NY, on the Harlem Line was a common place to find FL9s in the PC era. Brewster is where FL9 5004 was photograhed on September 14, 1974. It is painted in the blue and yellow scheme dictated by the MTA for better visibility. Photo by William Brennan from the collection of Gary Stuebben.
Before the invasion of the blue and yellow paint, many of the former New Haven FL9 ran around in their McGinnis-inspired paint scheme, such as the 5006 at Harmon in May 1971. Besides Brewster, Harmon on the Hudson Line was the other place to find lots of FL9s. Photo from the collection of Dale A. DeVene Jr.
Some FL9s still in New Haven colors eventually got to look really bad. The 5009 is at Harmon, NY, on October 28, 1972, hopefully awaiting a trip to the paint shop. Photo by Tom Trencansky from the collection of Gary Stuebben.
Before the MTA paint scheme was introduced, some PC FL9s wore the same solid black paint that their freight-hauling stablemates had. An example is the 5024, photographed on September 21, 1969, at Springfield, MA, Photo by Carl P. Munck, from the collection of Gary Stuebben.
In August 1977, Amtrak FL9 235, with parts stripped and still wearing worn and rusted New Haven paint and PC decals, sits at the enginehouse in New Haven, CT. This FL9 would later be renumbered to 484, but would never see service again, as it was cannibalized for parts when the remainder of Amtrak's FL9 fleet was rebuilt by Morrison-Knudsen between May 1979 and November 1980. Amtrak 235 was originally built as NH 2009 and later became PC 5009. Photo by Ed St. George.