Re: PC: Observations About PC In Color V1

Despite there being some mis-labeled photo captions as to locations, the
book does have some decent photos of the Penn Central at work.  Looking
forward to future volumes.

Mark Branibar
GTS-Welco Cylinder Control
Bethlehem, Pa.

             "Gary L"
             <h18w777 -AT- charter.
             net>                                                       To
             Sent by:                  <penn-central@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             owner-penn-centra                                          cc
             l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       PC: Observations About PC In Color
             10/29/2008 10:20          V1
             AM

             Please respond to
             penn-central@smel
                 lycat.com

Received my copy and in the unlikely event there is anyone here who hasn't,

here are some comments.

Overall, the book was everything I was expecting.  The date spread of PC
subjects was indeed all encompassing.  I do wonder about the inclusion of a

section called "The Last Year Of New York Central" and several pre PC
photos
of NYC trains in other locations.  Not appropriate for a PC subject book in

my opinion.

The photo of the PC eastbound crossing the Poughkeepsie bridge on page 52
was easily worth the cost of the book.  The very first I have ever seen of
PC crossing this bridge.  The selection of photos from the New York
secondary lines was superb and the second high point of this book.  One
disappointment were no photos of the famous PC "Hojac" line near Buffalo
NY.
TRACKSIDE AROUND BUFFALO 1953-1976 has a pair of photos of this operation,
but not this book.

Morning Sun's Pennsylvania Diesels in Color series featured stories behind
the scenes stories from Bill Volkmer and Robert Watson that were excellent.

Hopefully, future volumes can feature some of this same sort of writing
from
those who were there.  Another example of someone that should be involved
for the appropriate reason would Jerry Taylor of A SAMPLING OF PENN CENTRAL

fame.  His book still represents the best book ever done for PC.  It would
be great if Mr. Yanosey could get him involved for the book that covers the

same region.

Of course the book is highly recommended.  If any on the list have Jeremy
Plant's or Robert Yanosey's email address, please feel free to forward
these
comments to them.

Really looking forward to Volume 2.  I'll have some more comments then.

Gary

Home | Main Index | Thread Index