Re: PC: Missing Windows

On Conrail, if the window was not needed it was blanked over once it was
broken; On GE units the small side window, on F units I don't know what
purpose they served other then cosmetic because I can tell you they
certainly don't admit much light. On B-units you needed the one where
the engine air was set up. It opened up and you could see alittle where
you were going. On these moves you always had a ground man. Also on
Conrail the "firemans" rear window wiper is not considered essential and
is not fixed. I believe the FRA "glazing" of windows came about in the
80's. Usually when the unit came in for heavy repair or scheduled
maintenance they had some kits made up to change out all cab windows.
Ditto for cabooses. Does anyone remember the PC units that ran around
with heavy fencing wire across the front cab windows? I believe that a
PC crewman was killed or seriously hurt when vandals hung concrete
blocks from a bridge overpass right at the proper height. This fencing
was put on to help protect them. George Alberti

Home | Main Index | Thread Index