Re: PC: What If -Reply

Two notes:

Hurricane Agnes is what killed the EL - before that they were planning on
upgrading a yard and had the cash to do it, but when the hurricane hit they
had to spend to fix the mainline instead -

The LV actually made money by their bookkeeping standards in 1975 - the
biggest reason this road went bankrupt is because it was 97% owned by the
bankrupt PC.

Was the RDG bankrupt?  they bought new engines on their own as late as '74
(where the LV got engines with USRA financing).  I know C&O took a beating
dumping their shares of RDG stock.

What it comes down to is the PC collapse killed most of the other roads,
with owning some or sharing assets with them, and because the PC merger
took away a lot of traffic from all of them (Maybrook traffic, Williamsport
RDG traffic to the NYC, etc.).  That's my opinion anyhow based on the facts
as I understand them -

Bill's Syracuse rail page

http://www.dreamscape.com/pontiac/rail.html