PC: 20th Century Limited

Hello All,
     After braving a rare Connecticut Tornado Warning for my home town  of
Waterbury CT (third time this season.. I think I'm in Kansas), I ventured to
Croton Harmon NY to witness the arrival of Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited on
the 100'th anniversary of the New York Central's 20th CENTURY LIMITED.
   At the rear were L&N private car "Ohio River" and New York Central #3.  A
woman in victorian dress boarded the #3 at Croton.
I photographed her boarding the train.  A couple other railfan photographers
were on hand.  Lots of photos taken from those on the platform as well as
those on the beautifully restored cars.  The true appreciation for this
event for this train was apparent, however I was sadly disappointed by the
lack of interest outside of the couple of us on the platform.  This was the
train of trains...up there with the Super Chief of the West coast.    A few
departed the private cars of the Lake Shore (20th CENTURY) at Croton.  I
expected more railfans at this event.  It was published in Railpace, but for
what it was at least the greatest train of all time, the 20TH CENTURY
LIMITED was acknowledged by a few railfans at it's point of power change and
had a memorable sendoff.   I am equally fond of the BROADWAY LIMITED which
survived the PC merger so don't fret PRR fans.   I have ridden the Broadway
and wish it was still in operation.

Rob

Home | Main Index | Thread Index