PC: Re: Lightning stripes in the PC era?

I saw one photo on George Elwood's NYC locomotive page
>(http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood/other/nyc-loco.html) of a pair of F7s
>in 1969 still wearing stripes, so it appears there were two that made
>the merger. I'm just trying to get a feel how many more there were
>out there, so I can justify either buying or not buying that striped
>RS11 that keeps calling my name at the hobby shop each month... :-)

Hold everything!  If you're referring to
http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/nyc/nyc1644s.jpg , that link is in error.
The shot is from my collection, and I assure you it was take in
Bellefontaine, OH in 1949.  I have a shot of the same engine in 1969 and it
is in the cigar band stripe (and a rather worn cigar band at that).  I
notified George Elwood of the link error this evening.

Check out the third and fourth unit in the consist pictured at
http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/nyc/nyc1615.jpg .  They are still in the
lightning stripe, but the photo was taken in 1964.    See also
http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/nyc/nyc1684.jpg for an A-B set in lightning
stripe on the point of a coal drag in 1964.  So we can confirm that the
lightning striped F units were still around in 1964, but that's not to say
that they made it to 1968.

Gary Stuebben
Dayton, OH

Home | Main Index | Thread Index