Re: PC: F-7's

> Jerry Jordak wrote:
> Norman O Mueller wrote:
>
> > I lived in Philadelphia during the Penn Central era.  I remember maybe
> > once in all those years seeing a freight train powered by EMD F units.
> > It was always electric power or diesel road switchers at the point.
Were
> > the F's kept on the western half of the system?  It seems the pictures I
> > have seen were taken west of Pittsburgh.
>
> "You're right....most of the F units seemed to have been kept on the
> western part of the system, where the terrain was more flat. (No
> sense sending four-axle F-units into the mountains when you have SD45s
> to do the same job.)"
>
> Jerry makes a good point, former NYC F7's (by and large the majority) did
not have dynamic brakes because the "Water Level Route" did not require it.
There is a great scene in one of the Penn Central tapes of an SD45, former
NYC F7, and an RS-3 descending Horseshoe Curve and the break smoke from the
train is amazing.  After the train is past a cloud hangs over the curve.

> Also, in the late 1960's the F's were on their way out (especially on the
PRR) and it may have been that PC did not want to install expensive
modifications such as compliance seats and cab signals to old former NYC
locomotives so they could lead system wide.  Therefore they were based at a
former NYC facility and worked former NYC lines.  In another post a list
member mentioned the former PRR F7's 1900-1906 that were equipped to lead
system wide.  After expensive modifications, the 1900-1902 did not even
survive to PC.  Of the rest, only the 1905 (with full PC paint) survived
into 1970.

> I imagine that if PC did not go bankrupt the F's would have been long gone
by 1974, replaced by GP38-2's and SD40-2's.  As it was, the PC made do with
what it had available and railfans benefitted from it.

> Bob Holzweiss

All NYC FT, F2,3,7 units did come equiped with dynamic brakes and used
system-wide in the 40's and 50's. Only passenger 3500 series F3's did not
have dynamics but had steam boilers. Also FA/FB units had dynamics.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index