PC: Re: PC 1971/1972 Modernization Project in NY area

Greetings to all,

I was wondering if anyone remembers the Modernization Project Penn Central did
with the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority in 1971 and 1972 on
the then electrified portions of the PC Hudson Line (ex-NYC), the PC Harlem
Line (ex-NYC) and the PC New Haven Line (ex-NH).  I know already that the
project included the installation of high level platforms at all the stations
in the electrified zone, the closing of "The Bronx-138th Street" station, the
High Bridge and Mount St. Vincent stations on the Hudson Line in the Bronx,
and the Morrisania and 183rd Street stations on the Harlem Line in the Bronx,
as well as the purchase of new electric door M-1 type "Metropolitan" MU's for
the Harlem and Hudson Lines, as well as the M-2 type "Cosmopolitan" MU's for
the New Haven Line.

I was wondering if anyone remembers this project, and how much of a difference
there was when the project was done.  Does anyone know why the high level
platforms north of Mount Vernon West to North White Plains on the Harlem Line
were built with tar by Penn Central, as opposed to concrete which was used for
the other high levels?  Were any of the other high level platforms built by
Penn Central built with tar rather than concrete?

Lastly, I know this was discussed already some time ago, but I'm not sure if
this particular question was ever answered.  Were all the 100 Penn Central
1000 series electric MU cars (built by St. Louis Car Co. in 1950 for the NYC
as the 4500 series) retired upon the arrival of the M-1 "Metropolitan" MU
cars?  Did any of these cars ever get MTA paint?

Thanks.

John W.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index